Egyptian officials request summoning of Morsi for questioning
Cairo: Egyptian prosecutors on Thursday requested the summoning of ousted President Mohammed Morsi and 34 other Muslim Brotherhood leaders for interrogation in a 2011 prison break case.
According to judicial sources, the Supreme State Security Prosecution examined complaints accusing Morsi and other Muslim Brotherhood leaders of escaping from the Wadi al-Natroun prison during the January 25 revolution, and of spying for foreign elements.
Prosecutors prepared a 41-page document with evidence against the defendants, which they handed over to Prosecutor General Hisham Barakat in a meeting that lasted five hours, the sources said.
Authorities last week had also launched a criminal probe against deposed Islamist President Morsi for alleged spying, inciting violence and ruining the economy.
Egyptian prosecutors had announced the criminal investigation against Morsi and several other leading Muslim Brotherhood figures, including the Islamist movement`s top leader Mohamed Badie.
61-year-old Morsi, Egypt`s first democratically elected president, was toppled by the powerful military earlier this month and since has been kept under detention along with some senior aides of his Muslim Brotherhood party.
Morsi was last seen in public on June 26 and has been held at an undisclosed location.
A foreign ministry spokesman, earlier this week had said, Morsi is in a "safe place" following his ouster.
The military maintains it deposed Morsi in a justified response to popular demand after millions of people demonstrated against him. The Brotherhood claims it was a coup that reversed democracy.
Complaints such as those against Morsi are a first step in the criminal process, allowing prosecutors to begin an investigation that can lead to charges.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral