Egyptian people will decide the fate of draft Constitution: US
Washington: The United States has said that it is the Egyptian people who would decide the fate of the draft constitution through a referendum as Washington continued to support the democratic transition process in the country.
"We continue to track the constitutional process with interest, and we`ll examine the document carefully once it is finalised and sent to (interim Egyptian) President (Adly) Mansour," said the State Department spokesperson Jen Psaki.
This is expected to happen Tuesday.
"The Egyptian people, of course, will decide the fate of the draft constitution in a referendum. We will continue to support a transition process that leads to an inclusive civilian government, selected through free, fair and transparent elections," Psaki said in response to a question.
Last week, US Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel had called Egyptian Minister of Defense General Al-Sisi during which he expressed his condolences for the recent loss of Egyptian soldiers in the Sinai.
During the phone call, Hagel expressed US concerns over recent enactment of a law restricting demonstrations and protests including the arrest of a group of Egyptian girls and political activists.
Hagel noted that the Egyptian government`s response to free expression will demonstrate the interim government`s commitment to a non-violent, inclusive and sustainable democratic transition, the Pentagon Assistant Press Secretary Carl Woog said.
"Hagel and General Al-Sisi also discussed the status of the constitution and plans for a constitutional referendum. They also discussed counter terrorism, border and maritime security, and regional security issues, including Syria and Iran," Woog said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Meanwhile, Russian forces arrive in Pakistan for `Friendship 2016` joint military drill