Egyptian PM survives attack on his motorcade
Cairo: Egyptian Prime Minister Hesham Qandil survived an attack on his motorcade by a group of armed men late Sunday, an interior ministry statement said.
"A vehicle intruded into the prime minister`s motorcade and when the security guards tried to push it away, one of its passengers opened fire at the security vehicle," Xinhua quoted the statement as saying.
"While running away, the vehicle hit a policeman and a citizen but the police managed to bust the vehicle and arrest the five attackers after a pursuit," said the statement.
The interior ministry statement revealed that the armed men were on their way for a fight with some people in another area when they happened to pass by Qandil`s motorcade.
The Egyptian cabinet said the armed attack was not politically motivated, according to the state-run MENA news agency.
"The attack on the prime minister`s motorcade on his way home was not politically motivated and he is fine and nothing hurt him," MENA quoted the cabinet`s spokesman Alaa al-Hadidi as saying.
Hadidi added that the incident was just a criminal activity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof