Egyptian PM survives attack on his motorcade
Cairo: Egyptian Prime Minister Hesham Qandil survived an attack on his motorcade by a group of armed men late Sunday, an interior ministry statement said.
"A vehicle intruded into the prime minister`s motorcade and when the security guards tried to push it away, one of its passengers opened fire at the security vehicle," Xinhua quoted the statement as saying.
"While running away, the vehicle hit a policeman and a citizen but the police managed to bust the vehicle and arrest the five attackers after a pursuit," said the statement.
The interior ministry statement revealed that the armed men were on their way for a fight with some people in another area when they happened to pass by Qandil`s motorcade.
The Egyptian cabinet said the armed attack was not politically motivated, according to the state-run MENA news agency.
"The attack on the prime minister`s motorcade on his way home was not politically motivated and he is fine and nothing hurt him," MENA quoted the cabinet`s spokesman Alaa al-Hadidi as saying.
Hadidi added that the incident was just a criminal activity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan