Egyptian police arrest 42 for arson, violence
Cairo: Egyptian police arrested 42 people for allegedly indulging in arson and sectarian violence as communal clashes continued in the Nagaa Hammadi town.
"We have arrested 28 Coptic Christians and 14 Muslims, considered as troublemakers, from Bahgura village after Friday`s incident when eleven ships and eight houses owned by Copts were burnt in the village," provincial police chief Mahmud Gohar said.
Authorities did not differentiate between majority and minority communities, he said yesterday.
Tensions began after a Muslim policeman was killed in a shooting in Nagaa Hammadi on Coptic Christmas Eve, considered the deadliest since 2000 when 20 Copts were killed.
On Friday, unidentified assailants set afire Christian-owned property in Bahgura.
"Three Muslims were arrested yesterday and have been charged with premeditated murder of Coptic Christians emerging from Christmas mass in Nagaa Hammadi. They have previous run-ins with police," Gohar said.
Copts comprise 10 percent of the Muslim dominated country and allege facing discrimination in job opportunities and other areas.
Religious clashes occur in south Egypt which is of late moving towards the capital and coastal cities in the north.
Security analysts said regional powers, mainly Iran, may have a hand in Friday`s clash to distract attention from the events at Egypt`s eastern borders.
"The violence against Christians in certain countries has caused indignation among many people, among other reasons because it has manifested itself during the holiest days of the Christian tradition," Pope Benedict XVI had said condemning the shooting in Nagaa Hammadi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview