Egyptian politicians red-faced after hatching plots on live TV
Cairo: Top Egyptian politicians were left red- faced after they were caught on live TV hatching plots to sabotage a dam in neighbouring Ethiopia during talks with President Mohammed Mursi, leaving viewers stunned.
The gaffe happened as an official failed to inform them that they were live on air during talks with Mursi.
"It was initially planned that the national meeting would be recorded and aired the next day, as is usually the case, but due to the importance of the topic it was decided at the last minute to air the meeting live. I forgot to inform the attendees about the changes," presidential aide for political affairs Pakinam El-Sharqawy said via Facebook late yesterday.
El-Sharqawy later apologised for the gaffe but the damage had been done, Ahram Online reported.
Seated around a large table, the politicians thinking this was a closed meeting began to suggest ideas, including spreading of rumours and using underhand means, for ways to stop the dam project.
"We will work on absorbing the shock caused by the Millennium Dam", Mursi said during the meeting, aired by Egypt`s state TV, adding that the dam will affect only 8 per cent of the total of Egypt`s electricity generation.
Commenting on some experts` predictions that the dam might collapse and pose a danger to Egypt, the president said: "This, of course, will be in Egypt`s favour, but we cannot say that (officially)".
Several political figures expressed anger at the mistake because they expressed views they thought would remain secret.
Liberal Ghad Party leader Ayman Nour said he was shocked that the meeting had been screened live without informing the participants.
The most controversial comment was made by him as he suggested that Egypt disseminate rumours that it is seeking advanced aircrafts, the Egypt Independent reported.
He said this is an intelligence technique of intimidation.
"It might not be realistic, but it will bring results on the diplomatic path," Nour said.
It was a "big mistake" because sensitive information was being discussed, Nour said later.
Younis Makhyoun, chairman of the Salafi Nour Party, said the last chip Egypt has is using its secret services to demolish the dam, describing the project as a declaration of war.
Chairman of the moderate Islamist Wasat Party, Abul Ela Mady, suggested sending army destroyers to the Bab al-Mandab strait and spreading rumours that Egypt is about to strike the dam.
Former information minister Osama Heikal said broadcasting the meeting live was "a farce" that reflects "the state of absurdity Egypt is experiencing".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday