Egyptian presidential hopeful pulls out of race
Cairo: A top Egyptian politician has decided
to withdraw from the presidential election in May due to
failure to build a political consensus around his candidature.
75-year-old Mansour Hassan, the former head of the
Advisory Council to the ruling Supreme Council of the Armed
Forces (SCAF) that governs the country, has said he will not
run for president, citing a lack of support due to divisions
between the political forces over his candidature.
"Political forces that had announced their endorsement of
me were divided," he said. "Other groups informed me they will
not be able to endorse me due to internal conflicts," he said
in a statement.
His joining in the race had coincided with a political
debate over the need for a consensus candidate.
He said after reassessing the circumstances, he realised
he would not be able to achieve the political consensus he
"What assists me in my decision is the presence of
several respectful [presidential] hopefuls," he added.
Hassan was appointed by the SCAF in November as head of
its civilian Advisory Council, which was tasked with providing
guidance to the generals in the post Mubarak transitional
The SCAF accepted his resignation earlier this month when
he expressed his intention to run for president.
There was growing speculation at the time that he would
be backed by both the military and the Islamists that dominate
Two weeks ago, the Wafd Party`s supreme board announced
its endorsement of Hassan, only two days after its executive
bureau an internal body subsidiary to the supreme board ?
had decided to support former Arab League Secretary General
Amr Moussa for the polls.
Hassan was a stalwart of former President Anwar Sadat’s
regime. Also Mahmoud al-Sharif pulled out from the race. He
was a former minister of Municipal Administration.
Egypt is set to hold its presidential election from May
23-24 to find a successor to the ousted Egyptian dictator
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam