Egyptian protesters storm security HQ at Alexandria
Cairo: Thousands of protesters stormed the
headquarters of internal security service in Egypt`s second
largest city of Alexandria in an outburst of anger at the
agency charged with large scale human rights violation during
toppled President Hosni Mubarak`s regime.
Protesters marched into the building late yesterday
attacking the police personnel inside with petrol bombs, the
hated secret servicemen opened fire on the attacking mob
injuring six, Al-Jazeera reported.
The secret security servicemen opened fire despite being
ordered not to use firearms by the army personnel guarding
some of the key floors of the building.
Al-Jazeera said the mob, stormed the building after they
noticed the ISS men setting fire to documents inside. A
smaller mob also marched to the internal security headquarters
in the capital Cairo demanding purge of all key Mubarak
Egypt`s internal security service and police forces,
which wielded enormous power under emergency declared by
Mubarak to suppress dissent, are some of the most powerful
symbols of his regime.
Though the protesters have cleared their sit-in at
Cairo`s now famous Tahrir Square, tensions remain high in the
country with people insisting that the powerful ministers,
police chiefs and former bureaucrats be tried for committing
excesses against the people.
One of the main demands of the protesters has been the
disbanding of the much hated internal security service.
The country`s new Prime Minister Essam Sharaf who after
taking over visited the Tahrir Square yesterday promised the
people that he would do his utmost to undo the excesses of the
"I draw the will and inspiration from this famous
Square", Sharaf told the people. The new Prime Minister has
endeared himself to the protesters when he joined them during
their siege against Mubarak.
The protesters are also demanding disbanding of Mubarak`s
National Democratic Party (NDP), the organisation which has
ruled Egypt for more than thirty years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed in Tamil Nadu Assembly; didn't use force on crowd, says Chennai Police Commissioner
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur