Egyptian soldier killed in Sinai blast
Cairo: An Egyptian military recruit was killed and four others were injured Wednesday when an explosive device targeted a military armoured vehicle on Rafah-Arish highway in north Sinai, a security source said.
"The explosive device was planted on the side of the highway and it went off when the armoured vehicle passed by," the source told Xinhua on condition of anonymity, noting the 21-year-old victim and his injured companions have been transferred to a military hospital in Arish.
The operations of extremist militant groups mounted in the restive peninsula and other provinces across the country, including the capital Cairo, since the military ouster of former Islamist president Mohamed Morsi last year.
They launched many attacks targeting military and police personnel and premises over the past year, which killed dozens and injured hundreds.
The Sinai-based Al Qaida-inspired Ansar Bayt al-Maqdis group claimed responsibility for most of them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi