Egyptian soldier killed in Sinai blast
Cairo: An Egyptian military recruit was killed and four others were injured Wednesday when an explosive device targeted a military armoured vehicle on Rafah-Arish highway in north Sinai, a security source said.
"The explosive device was planted on the side of the highway and it went off when the armoured vehicle passed by," the source told Xinhua on condition of anonymity, noting the 21-year-old victim and his injured companions have been transferred to a military hospital in Arish.
The operations of extremist militant groups mounted in the restive peninsula and other provinces across the country, including the capital Cairo, since the military ouster of former Islamist president Mohamed Morsi last year.
They launched many attacks targeting military and police personnel and premises over the past year, which killed dozens and injured hundreds.
The Sinai-based Al Qaida-inspired Ansar Bayt al-Maqdis group claimed responsibility for most of them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre