Egyptian tanks, helicopters push through Sinai
El-arish: An Egyptian military official says troops and tanks backed by helicopter gunships are sweeping through villages in the northern Sinai peninsula near the border with the Palestinian Gaza Strip, on the third day of a major offensive against suspected Islamic extremists.
At least 20 suspects were killed and 20 arrested in the previous two days.
The official says helicopters struck hideouts of al-Qaida-inspired militants early today in the southern town of Rafah.
He said that along with those killed and arrested, a number of militants fled to coastal villages, while others tried to enter Gaza through underground tunnels.
He spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorised to speak to the press.
Militant attacks in northern Sinai spiked after ouster of Islamist President Mohammed Morsi on July 3.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj