Egyptian troop column moves into the Sinai
El-Arish (Egypt): A military official says Egypt is deploying new troops backed by tanks and other armoured vehicles to insurgent strongholds in the northern Sinai Peninsula.
He says the Army will "clean" areas around the towns of Rafah and Sheikh Zuweyid on the border with the Gaza Strip and two nearby villages, al-Qurea and al-Dhahir, where Islamic militants operate. He spoke on condition of anonymity according to rules.
A witness says the column of tanks, trucks carrying infantry, rocket launchers and other military vehicles on the road today appears to be one of the largest units deployed to the area in recent years. He spoke anonymously for fear of being involved.
The troop movement follows a failed Thursday car bomb attack on the Interior Minister`s convoy in Cairo that killed one person.
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed?
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part II
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part III
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part IV
- Why is "Make in India" given more importance than people dying of hunger?
- After Latur, now 'water train' for drought-hit Bundelkhand
- India's services sector growth softens in April
- Azam Khan dares Yogi Adityanath: `Prove your masculinity by getting married`
- Nihal Batla, face of Progeria awareness campaign in India, dies at 15
- BJP slams UP CM Akhilesh Yadav over hunger death in Bundelkhand