Egyptian troop column moves into the Sinai
El-Arish (Egypt): A military official says Egypt is deploying new troops backed by tanks and other armoured vehicles to insurgent strongholds in the northern Sinai Peninsula.
He says the Army will "clean" areas around the towns of Rafah and Sheikh Zuweyid on the border with the Gaza Strip and two nearby villages, al-Qurea and al-Dhahir, where Islamic militants operate. He spoke on condition of anonymity according to rules.
A witness says the column of tanks, trucks carrying infantry, rocket launchers and other military vehicles on the road today appears to be one of the largest units deployed to the area in recent years. He spoke anonymously for fear of being involved.
The troop movement follows a failed Thursday car bomb attack on the Interior Minister`s convoy in Cairo that killed one person.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- LIVE Cricket Score, IND vs NZ, 3rd ODI: Chasing 286-run target, India lose Rahane and Rohit early
- Samajwadi Party feud LIVE: Mulayam sacks Ram Gopal Yadav from party for six years; Shivpal says he is corrupt, involved with BJP