Egyptian troop column moves into the Sinai
El-Arish (Egypt): A military official says Egypt is deploying new troops backed by tanks and other armoured vehicles to insurgent strongholds in the northern Sinai Peninsula.
He says the Army will "clean" areas around the towns of Rafah and Sheikh Zuweyid on the border with the Gaza Strip and two nearby villages, al-Qurea and al-Dhahir, where Islamic militants operate. He spoke on condition of anonymity according to rules.
A witness says the column of tanks, trucks carrying infantry, rocket launchers and other military vehicles on the road today appears to be one of the largest units deployed to the area in recent years. He spoke anonymously for fear of being involved.
The troop movement follows a failed Thursday car bomb attack on the Interior Minister`s convoy in Cairo that killed one person.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nawaz Sharif's dream of making Kashmir a terror hell will never come true, says Sushma Swaraj
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- West Indies legend Vivian Richards hails Virat Kohli's 'magnificent' innings
- Indian aid worker Judith D'Souza rescued from captors in Afghanistan returns home
- 80 killed, over 200 injured in twin suicide bomb attacks on Kabul protesters; Islamic State claims responsibility
- MUST WATCH: One to be treasured! Virat Kohli's 200 and Sunil Gavaskar's generous applause
- SCOPE for accountability check of NGOs getting funds from PSUs