Egyptian troops protect Sinai gas line to Israel
El-Arish: Security officials say Egyptian soldiers have been deployed to guard a northern Sinai pipeline that carries natural gas to Israel.
On February 05, assailants bombed a gas terminal in the area, disrupting the flow of gas to Israel and Jordan.
The security officials said on Thursday that soldiers have been taking up positions along the line since Tuesday.
The northern Sinai is home to Bedouin tribes who resist government control. Officials say tribesmen have joined forces with Islamic militants, some of whom escaped from prisons during the uprising that led to Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak`s ouster last week.
The groups have attacked police stations in the Sinai.
The officials spoke on condition of anonymity under briefing regulations.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India
- Vladimir Putin rages as Turkey shoots down Russian plane
- I was shivering while interviewing Nirbhaya's friend, says Ramnath Goenka awardee Sudhir Chaudhary
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- If India was intolerant, then Kiran Rao wouldn't have married Aamir Khan: Baba Ramdev