Egyptian troops protect Sinai gas line to Israel
El-Arish: Security officials say Egyptian soldiers have been deployed to guard a northern Sinai pipeline that carries natural gas to Israel.
On February 05, assailants bombed a gas terminal in the area, disrupting the flow of gas to Israel and Jordan.
The security officials said on Thursday that soldiers have been taking up positions along the line since Tuesday.
The northern Sinai is home to Bedouin tribes who resist government control. Officials say tribesmen have joined forces with Islamic militants, some of whom escaped from prisons during the uprising that led to Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak`s ouster last week.
The groups have attacked police stations in the Sinai.
The officials spoke on condition of anonymity under briefing regulations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- In Pics: Indian Super League 2015 opening ceremony!
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Team India, South Africa arrive for second T20 match
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani