Egyptian troops protect Sinai gas line to Israel
El-Arish: Security officials say Egyptian soldiers have been deployed to guard a northern Sinai pipeline that carries natural gas to Israel.
On February 05, assailants bombed a gas terminal in the area, disrupting the flow of gas to Israel and Jordan.
The security officials said on Thursday that soldiers have been taking up positions along the line since Tuesday.
The northern Sinai is home to Bedouin tribes who resist government control. Officials say tribesmen have joined forces with Islamic militants, some of whom escaped from prisons during the uprising that led to Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak`s ouster last week.
The groups have attacked police stations in the Sinai.
The officials spoke on condition of anonymity under briefing regulations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth