Egyptian troops protect Sinai gas line to Israel
El-Arish: Security officials say Egyptian soldiers have been deployed to guard a northern Sinai pipeline that carries natural gas to Israel.
On February 05, assailants bombed a gas terminal in the area, disrupting the flow of gas to Israel and Jordan.
The security officials said on Thursday that soldiers have been taking up positions along the line since Tuesday.
The northern Sinai is home to Bedouin tribes who resist government control. Officials say tribesmen have joined forces with Islamic militants, some of whom escaped from prisons during the uprising that led to Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak`s ouster last week.
The groups have attacked police stations in the Sinai.
The officials spoke on condition of anonymity under briefing regulations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened