`Egyptian VP survives assassination bid`
Washington: An assassination attempt on Egypt`s Vice President Omar Suleiman has failed, but it left two of his bodyguards dead, a media report said.
The attempt to kill Suleiman took place in recent days, sources told Fox News on Saturday.
Embattled Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak had appointed Suleiman as vice president to quell the unrest in the country.
Mubarak, who has ruled the country for nearly 30 years, is under intense pressure to quit with defiant protesters gathered at Cairo`s downtown Tahrir Square stepping up their demonstration.
An Obama administration official said the attack took place after Suleiman, a former spy chief, was appointed vice president on January 29.
It was an organised attack on Suleiman`s motorcade, Fox News said.
When contacted, White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs said: "I`m not going to ... get into that question."
The vice president`s post was empty when Suleiman was tapped for the job. The appointment took place after the protests that began on January 25 intensified.
The US is holding discussions with Egyptian officials on a proposal for President Hosni Mubarak to resign immediately and hand over power to a transitional government that would be supported by the military.
The Barack Obama administration is working on the proposal for Mubarak to quit now and turn over power to a transitional government headed by Vice President Omar Suleiman with the support of the Egyptian military, New York Times quoted administration officials and Arab diplomats as saying.
Suleiman backed by Egyptian armed forces chief Lt Gen Sami Enan and Defence Minister Field Marshal Mohamed Tantawi would immediately begin a process of constitutional reform.
A senior administration source, while expressing surprise that news of the assassination attempt was just now breaking, said: "He (Suleiman) is the transition plan ... or at least one of them for the Egyptians."
Egypt receives about USD 1.3 billion in military aid from Washington every year, second only to Israel, and has received nearly USD 30 billion in economic aid since 1975, according to State Department figures.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues