Egyptians building Gaza barrier come under fire
Gaza City: Security officials say shots have
been fired from Gaza at Egyptians installing an underground
metal barrier meant to seal border smuggling tunnels.
Palestinian and Egyptian officials say the shots were
fired this morning, but that no one was hurt. They spoke on
condition of anonymity because they aren`t allowed to speak to
This is the fourth shooting incident since workers began
building the barrier several weeks ago. The construction
tightens a blockade imposed on Gaza after the militant group
Hamas seized power in 2007.
The barrier has also worsened relations between Egypt and
Hamas, which relies on the tunnels to haul in most commercial
goods, as well as weapons.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference