Egyptians call for Mubarak to be put on trial
Cairo: Tens of thousands of Egyptians
poured onto the country`s iconic Tahrir Square demanding that
the ousted ailing President Hosni Mubarak be put on trial and
his former protegees be purged.
Waving placards and chanting "People want to try
deposed President" and "We want the looter to be tried", the
people draped in the country`s flag dubbed the rally as "Day
of Trial and Cleansing".
The rally said they also want to put pressure on the
country`s new ruling generals to deliver on promised reforms
and carry out the purge of hated officials of the former
The rally started with a trickle, but became a mass as
thousands of people joined in after the traditional Friday
Mubarak and his wife Suzanne and two sons Alaa and
Gamal and their families are already barred from travelling
abroad and their assets frozen.
Gamal, Mubarak`s younger son, who reportedly wielded
extraordinary powers under his father`s regime, has already
been hauled up by an anti-corruption panel for having money
disproportionate to his means.
Several other major figures in the Mubarak regime
including his key chief of staff Zakariah Azmi has been
arrested on suspicions of illegally amassing wealth.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Accused of 'intimidation', Delhi Deputy CM Sisodia to stage protest march to PM Modi's residence
- IIFA 2016: Priyanka Chopra wins 'Woman of the Year' award, expresses her joy on Twitter! - View pic
- Dada responds to Ravi Shastri's 'Sourav Ganguly absent' remark - Here's what he said
- French woman facing extradition to Chile granted bail by Delhi court
- Hot, humid Sunday morning in Delhi