close
This ad will auto close in 10 seconds

Egyptians cancel meetings with US lawmakers

Nineteen Americans are among 40 foreign and Egyptian activists whose cases have been referred to criminal court in Egypt.



Washington: An Egyptian military delegation abruptly cancelled its meetings with US lawmakers to return to Cairo on Monday after warnings from both Congress and the White House that Egypt`s crackdown on non-governmental groups could threaten its USD 1.3 billion in annual US military aid.

A spokesman for the Egyptian embassy confirmed that the delegation had cancelled its meetings this week with US lawmakers, but gave no reason.

Last week, the Egyptian Army delegation met State Department officials who outlined both the US position on the pro-democracy non-governmental groups and the new conditions that Congress recently imposed on American military assistance.

Nineteen Americans are among 40 foreign and Egyptian activists whose cases have been referred to criminal court by Egypt`s Army-backed government. A number of the US citizens involved have sought refuge in the American embassy.

The resulting dispute has strained ties between Cairo and Washington, which backed the overthrow last year of Egypt`s longtime ruler Hosni Mubarak, upon whom it relied for decades to uphold a peace treaty with Israel vital to US strategy in the Middle East.

The Egyptian delegation had been scheduled to see Senators Carl Levin and John McCain, the Democratic chairman and ranking Republican on the Senate Armed Services Committee, among others in Congress this week.

Senate aides said they did not know why the meetings were cancelled.

The US senator who wrote the conditions placed on US military aid to Egypt this year warned that "things will be a lot worse" for Egypt when Congress makes aid decisions for 2013 if Cairo does not demonstrate a commitment to democracy.

Senator Patrick Leahy, Democratic chairman of the Senate foreign aid subcommittee, suggested that he would not favour continuing US military aid to Egypt, even with conditions, if it continued its crackdown on local and US-funded pro-democracy groups.

"I`m not going to ... say, keep on funding this, funding money that reflects the assumption that they are committed to democracy, if they are not," Leahy said at the Senate.

"If they think I took a strong stand this year - if things don`t improve, next year will be a lot worse," he said.

The White House said earlier on Monday that the Egyptian crackdown on pro-democracy non-governmental groups could threaten the country`s USD 1.3 billion in annual US military aid.

"These actions could have consequences for our relationship and for our assistance programs," White House press secretary Jay Carney told reporters.

Leahy`s conditions

Under the conditions written into the fiscal 2012 spending bill that Congress passed in December, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton must certify that Egypt`s military-led authorities are meeting benchmarked steps toward democratic reform before the USD 1.3 billion in military aid -- the usual amount Washington has provided in recent years -- is released in fiscal 2012.

The conditions say that Hillary must certify that Egypt is "holding free and fair elections; implementing policies to protect freedom of expression, association, and religion, and due process of law”.

Leahy said he had to "really fight the administration" of President Barack Obama, a fellow Democrat, to get those conditions placed on the aid for fiscal 2012, which began last October and ends September 01.

"Now everybody is glad it was done that way because it gives us, to the extent we have any leverage, that`s where the leverage is," Leahy said.

At the White House, Carney said the administration continued to communicate to the Egyptian government its "grave concerns" about the crackdown on pro-democracy groups.

The individuals involved "have done nothing wrong. Their only assignment is to support Egypt in its transition to democracy”.

Egyptian authorities say the NGOs broke the law by accepting foreign funds without government approval.

Several US citizens and others involved have been barred from leaving Egypt. They include Sam LaHood, the country director of the International Republican Institute and the son of US Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood.

"Many of these groups have worked in Egypt for several years, and so their activities are not new. Moreover, they also served as observers for the recent Parliamentary Elections at the request of the government of Egypt," Carney said.

Bureau Report

From Zee News

0 Comment - Join the Discussions

trending

photo gallery

video


WION FEATURES

K8 Plus: Lenovo's new phone available @ Rs 10,999

Heavy security outside Dera Sacha Sauda headquarters in Sirsa as search operation begins

WATCH Exclusive: After Doklam standoff, India begins road construction near LAC

Hurricane Irma, rampaging through Caribbean, is most enduring super-storm on record

Three train derailments in 1 day, fourth accident narrowly-averted

China says Indian Army chief's views contrary to those expressed by Modi, Xi