Egyptians deserve a permanent democratic govt: US
Washington: Acknowledging that the situation in Egypt is quite murky, the United States has said the Egyptians deserve to have a permanent democratic government which is elected by the people of the country.
"They deserve to have a permanent democratic government chosen by the people that represent all the people of Egypt. It`s quite murky now how that`s going to come forward," State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland told reporters at her daily news conference on Wednesday.
Nuland was responding to questions on conflicting reports coming from Egypt on the winner of the Presidential Elections as the counting of votes continues.
"They are continuing to tabulate the votes. There have been a number of claims and counterclaims. So our call remains as it has been, that we want to see the Egyptian people have a process that gives them confidence that their democratic transition is on track," she said.
"So these days are going to be absolutely crucial in the way this vote is handled, in the confidence that the Egyptian people have, in the way the announcement comes forward, in the way any concerns are addressed, etc," the spokesperson said.
"The Egyptians have to sort through this now, given the decisions of the court, given the lack of clarity about the constituent assembly, given the fact that we still don`t have - that the election hasn`t been called, etc," she said.
Nuland said the principles, that have guided the United States during the Arab Spring, have also guided it throughout this transition period in Egypt.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city