Egyptians vote in presidential poll
Cairo: Egyptian voters started casting their ballots Monday across the country in the first presidential election following the ouster of former Islamist president Mohamed Morsi.
Former military chief Abdel-Fattah al-Sisi, who led Morsi`s overthrow, and leftist leader Hamdeen Sabahi are the only two contestants in the race, Xinhua reported.
The former military chief garnered a staggering 94.5 percent of the votes cast by over 300,000 overseas Egyptians in 124 countries last week, according to the Election Commission.
More than 53 million Egyptians are eligible to cast their votes in the presidential poll.
The election has been scheduled for May 26-27. The results are expected June 5.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Monsoon Session of Parliament to begin from July 18, end on August 12
- Barack Obama does not see major, cataclysmic changes after Brexit
- Mumbai: Youth performs daredevil stunt atop local train - Watch video
- You cannot afford to miss these monsoon destinations in India!
- Prince Harry joins Coldplay onstage at Kensington Palace gig