Egypt`s Brotherhood vilifies army ahead of rallies
Cairo: Egypt`s Muslim Brotherhood on Thursday sharply criticised the military for ousting the country`s Islamist president, comparing its rule to that of Adolf Hitler, Roman emperor Nero or Mongol conqueror Hulagu Khan, remarks likely to stoke tensions ahead of rival rallies by supporters and opponents of the former leader.
The language was particularly sharp even compared to other recent Brotherhood tirades, and is certain to further sour chances of political reconciliation with Egypt`s interim authorities, at least in the foreseeable future.
The group has delivered a flurry of anti-military pronouncements in the three months since Mohammed Morsi, Egypt`s first freely elected president, was toppled in a popularly-backed military coup.
Since Morsi`s July 3 ouster, the country`s military-backed government has moved against the Brotherhood, banning the group, seizing its assets and arresting hundreds of its members and supporters.
The rival rallies on Sunday, both are planned for Cairo`s central Tahrir Square, carry the potential for violent clashes between Morsi`s Islamist supporters and Egyptians who back the military.
The date is also a national holiday, marking the 40th anniversary of the start of the 1973 Middle East war in which Egyptian forces made initial gains against Israel.
Most Egyptians revere the memory of that war as one of victory, a sentiment that leaves the Brotherhood in a negative light on account of its call for anti-military rallies on its anniversary.
The statement also vilified the regime of Egypt`s charismatic leader Gamal Abdel-Nasser, again clashing with popular sentiment that the late leader was a champion of the poor and a nationalist who held the country together.
Abdel-Nasser cracked down on the Brotherhood in the 1950s and 1960s, jailing hundreds of its members and executing several of its leaders.
Underlining that sentiment, Interim President Adly Mansour on today posthumously decorated Mohammed Fawzi, a wartime defense minister who served under Abdel-Nasser.
"If history will mention the 1973 (military) commanders on its brightest pages, there is no doubt that it will mention the leaders of the bloody coup who murdered their Egyptian brothers on the same page with Nero, Hulagu and Hitler," the Brotherhood statement said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation