Egypt`s El Baradei pleas for vote postponement
Cairo: Egypt`s most prominent democracy advocate has pleaded to President Mohammed Mursi to delay an upcoming vote on a draft constitution to avoid the "spectre of civil war."
In an emotional televised message yesterday, Nobel laureate Mohamed ElBaradei told the Islamist leader, "Fear God, Dr Mursi and postpone the referendum."
His message comes two days before the December 15 vote on the highly contentious constitution. Mursi and his Islamists allies support the charter while a wide spectrum of liberals, youth groups and others see both the process and the draft as flawed.
El Baradei also urged Egyptians to vote "No" if Mursi did not cancel the vote.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Live: Jayalalithaa passes away after suffering cardiac arrest; Panneerselvam takes oath as new CM of Tamil Nadu
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what