Egypt`s El Baradei pleas for vote postponement
Cairo: Egypt`s most prominent democracy advocate has pleaded to President Mohammed Mursi to delay an upcoming vote on a draft constitution to avoid the "spectre of civil war."
In an emotional televised message yesterday, Nobel laureate Mohamed ElBaradei told the Islamist leader, "Fear God, Dr Mursi and postpone the referendum."
His message comes two days before the December 15 vote on the highly contentious constitution. Mursi and his Islamists allies support the charter while a wide spectrum of liberals, youth groups and others see both the process and the draft as flawed.
El Baradei also urged Egyptians to vote "No" if Mursi did not cancel the vote.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter