Egypt`s el-Sissi visits Coptic pope before Easter
Cairo: Egypt`s former military chief and presumed presidential front-runner visited the Coptic pope Saturday ahead of Orthodox Easter, making his first public appearance since he formally made his bid for the presidency.
Pope Tawadros II is a strong backer of retired Field Marshal Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi, who removed the country`s first democratically elected president last summer after a wave of popular protests.
Tawadros backed the military`s overthrow of Islamist Mohammed Morsi and appeared alongside el-Sissi with Muslim leaders and secular politicians after his ouster.
Following Morsi`s removal, rioters burned and vandalized churches and government buildings in the country.
Orthodox Easter is tomorrow and El-Sissi`s visit to the pope`s seat of power at St. Mark`s Cathedral is a tribute to the country`s Christians, some 10 per cent of Egypt`s population.
Morsi never visited the Cathedral, instead sending a representative last year.
Some radical Islamists had argued even against greeting Christians during their holidays. According to a statement, el-Sissi told Pope Tawadros that Christians and Muslims will remain united.
Riding a wave of widespread support for the military after Morsi`s ouster, el-Sissi is widely expected to win the coming May 26-27 presidential election. There is little opposition to the former military chief, who retired before declaring his bid as Egyptian law bans soldiers from running.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror