Egypt`s el-Sissi visits Coptic pope before Easter
Cairo: Egypt`s former military chief and presumed presidential front-runner visited the Coptic pope Saturday ahead of Orthodox Easter, making his first public appearance since he formally made his bid for the presidency.
Pope Tawadros II is a strong backer of retired Field Marshal Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi, who removed the country`s first democratically elected president last summer after a wave of popular protests.
Tawadros backed the military`s overthrow of Islamist Mohammed Morsi and appeared alongside el-Sissi with Muslim leaders and secular politicians after his ouster.
Following Morsi`s removal, rioters burned and vandalized churches and government buildings in the country.
Orthodox Easter is tomorrow and El-Sissi`s visit to the pope`s seat of power at St. Mark`s Cathedral is a tribute to the country`s Christians, some 10 per cent of Egypt`s population.
Morsi never visited the Cathedral, instead sending a representative last year.
Some radical Islamists had argued even against greeting Christians during their holidays. According to a statement, el-Sissi told Pope Tawadros that Christians and Muslims will remain united.
Riding a wave of widespread support for the military after Morsi`s ouster, el-Sissi is widely expected to win the coming May 26-27 presidential election. There is little opposition to the former military chief, who retired before declaring his bid as Egyptian law bans soldiers from running.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...