Zee Media Bureau/Supriya Jha
Cairo: Ousted Egypt president Hosni Mubarak has been sentenced to three years in jail on charges of embezzlement of public funds, reports said Wednesday.
Along with octogenarian Mubarak, his two sons, Alaa and Gamal, were also convicted and handed four-year terms, reported the BBC.
Mubarak was accused of usurping $17.6 million which was earmarked for the renovation of presidential palaces, added the report.
Announcing the verdict, judge Osama Shaheen said that Mubarak allowed "himself and his sons the freedom to take from public funds whatever they wanted to without oversight and without regard".
Mubarak and his sons, in their defense, denied the charges as "unsubstantiated", with his lawyer saying that the former President would appeal.
According to local media reports, Mubarak could be allowed to serve his sentence in hospital if prosecutors approved of it in line with doctors` advice, on the ground of his falling health.
Mubarak`s sentencing comes just few days before the crucial presidential elections, in which former military chief Abdul Fattah al-Sisi is a top contender.
Mubarak is also facing trial for abuse of power and role in protesters`death during the 2011 uprising.
In 2012, Mubarak along with his former Interior Minister, was found guilty and jailed in the case of protesters` death. However, he was later released in August 2013 and since then he has been placed under house arrest in Cairo`s military prison.
Hosni Mubarak`s three-decades-long rule on Egypt came to an end after 2011 Arab uprising.