Egypt`s military bags sweeping powers
Cairo: Egypt`s ruling military has reportedly issued a declaration that grants itself sweeping powers, including legislative control.
The document issued by the Supreme Council of Armed Forces (Scaf) says that new general elections cannot take place until a permanent Constitution is drawn up.
The document gives the Scaf control over the budget and who writes the permanent Constitution following the uprising that toppled former president Hosni Mubarak.
It also strips the president of any authority over the Army, the BBC reports.
According to the report, prominent political leader Mohammed ElBaradei already described the document as a ‘grave setback for democracy and revolution’.
Meanwhile, the Muslim Brotherhood has said that its candidate, Mohammed Mursi, has won Sunday`s Presidential Election.
Mursi, an Islamist, is competing against Ahmed Shafiq, who served as prime minister under Mubarak.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends