Egypt`s military bags sweeping powers
Cairo: Egypt`s ruling military has reportedly issued a declaration that grants itself sweeping powers, including legislative control.
The document issued by the Supreme Council of Armed Forces (Scaf) says that new general elections cannot take place until a permanent Constitution is drawn up.
The document gives the Scaf control over the budget and who writes the permanent Constitution following the uprising that toppled former president Hosni Mubarak.
It also strips the president of any authority over the Army, the BBC reports.
According to the report, prominent political leader Mohammed ElBaradei already described the document as a ‘grave setback for democracy and revolution’.
Meanwhile, the Muslim Brotherhood has said that its candidate, Mohammed Mursi, has won Sunday`s Presidential Election.
Mursi, an Islamist, is competing against Ahmed Shafiq, who served as prime minister under Mubarak.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?