Egypt`s military bags sweeping powers
Cairo: Egypt`s ruling military has reportedly issued a declaration that grants itself sweeping powers, including legislative control.
The document issued by the Supreme Council of Armed Forces (Scaf) says that new general elections cannot take place until a permanent Constitution is drawn up.
The document gives the Scaf control over the budget and who writes the permanent Constitution following the uprising that toppled former president Hosni Mubarak.
It also strips the president of any authority over the Army, the BBC reports.
According to the report, prominent political leader Mohammed ElBaradei already described the document as a ‘grave setback for democracy and revolution’.
Meanwhile, the Muslim Brotherhood has said that its candidate, Mohammed Mursi, has won Sunday`s Presidential Election.
Mursi, an Islamist, is competing against Ahmed Shafiq, who served as prime minister under Mubarak.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Delhi court restrains release of controversial movie 'Mohalla Assi'
- Lalitgate: Centre denies deal with Congress over Sushma Swaraj, Vasundhara Raje