Egypt`s military bags sweeping powers
Cairo: Egypt`s ruling military has reportedly issued a declaration that grants itself sweeping powers, including legislative control.
The document issued by the Supreme Council of Armed Forces (Scaf) says that new general elections cannot take place until a permanent Constitution is drawn up.
The document gives the Scaf control over the budget and who writes the permanent Constitution following the uprising that toppled former president Hosni Mubarak.
It also strips the president of any authority over the Army, the BBC reports.
According to the report, prominent political leader Mohammed ElBaradei already described the document as a ‘grave setback for democracy and revolution’.
Meanwhile, the Muslim Brotherhood has said that its candidate, Mohammed Mursi, has won Sunday`s Presidential Election.
Mursi, an Islamist, is competing against Ahmed Shafiq, who served as prime minister under Mubarak.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof