Egypt`s military bags sweeping powers
Cairo: Egypt`s ruling military has reportedly issued a declaration that grants itself sweeping powers, including legislative control.
The document issued by the Supreme Council of Armed Forces (Scaf) says that new general elections cannot take place until a permanent Constitution is drawn up.
The document gives the Scaf control over the budget and who writes the permanent Constitution following the uprising that toppled former president Hosni Mubarak.
It also strips the president of any authority over the Army, the BBC reports.
According to the report, prominent political leader Mohammed ElBaradei already described the document as a ‘grave setback for democracy and revolution’.
Meanwhile, the Muslim Brotherhood has said that its candidate, Mohammed Mursi, has won Sunday`s Presidential Election.
Mursi, an Islamist, is competing against Ahmed Shafiq, who served as prime minister under Mubarak.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part III
- Mother Sofia Hayat displays her singing talent - Watch video
- Mercedes, GE among 'Make in India' investors
- 1st Test, Day 1: Steve Smith-led Australia in driver's seat after bowling out Sri Lanka for 117
- 'Kabali' Rajinikanth follows just one politician on Twitter; he is PM Narendra Modi
- 7th CPC: Govt to set up anomalies committees related to IAS, IPS, IFoS