Egypt’s military court sentences 5 to death
Cairo: An Egyptian military court on Wednesday sentenced five men to death after they robbed a gas station and killed a police commander during the getaway, the official MENA news agency reported. Seven others who were arrested after the May robbery in the Red Sea town of Al-Quseir were acquitted, the agency said.
The military, which has been in charge since a popular revolt ousted President Hosni Mubarak in February, has tried thousands of civilians for crimes ranging from robbery and assault to insulting the armed forces. Its courts have sentenced several people to hang for crimes like rape and murder.
Although the military trials were welcomed by many Egyptians during the lawless few months after the revolt, the military now faces increasing criticism for the tribunals, which rights groups say are unfair.
The New York-based group Human Rights Watch accused the military on Thursday of escalating a crackdown on critics after it decided to try an activist for insulting the ruling generals.
Asmaa Mahfouz, an activist and blogger involved in the uprising, will be tried by a military court for defamation, a judicial source said this week.
Mahfouz was questioned on Sunday for “speaking inappropriately about the military council and for using defamatory and offensive insults against the council on Facebook and Twitter,” the MENA news agency had reported.
“The military prosecutor’s decision to prosecute the youth leader Asmaa Mahfouz for ‘insulting the military’ is a serious escalation of efforts by military leaders to silence critical voices,” the rights group said in a statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi