Egypt`s military rulers name new Prime Minister
Cairo: Egypt`s new military rulers today
buckled under continued public pressure and removed Prime
Minister Ahmed Shafiq, handpicked by ousted President Hosni
Mubarak, replacing him with a new nominee.
Former Transport Minister Essam Sharaf will be the new
prime minster, a brief military statement said. The sacking of
Shafiq was a key demand of the opposition protest movement.
A former Air Force officer, Shafiq was named the prime
minister shortly after the outbreak of anti-government
protests on January 25.
The military statement said the new prime minister had
been tasked with forming a new caretaker government, which
will oversee bringing in wide ranging changes in the country`s
constitution leading to holding of new elections.
The protest leaders have been vehement in demanding a
complete change in the government as they want all leaders
linked to the Mubarak era to be changed.
They are also demanding that the army should take over
the task of looking after law and order. Aftermath the ouster
of strongman Mubarak, Egypt has been rocked by escalating
crime graph with increased reported in robberies and hold-ups.
The sacking of the prime minister comes as a state
owned newspaper al-Akhbar reported that the toppled president
had been shifted to Saudi Arabia to receive treatment for
"Mubarak is currently in the Saudi military base in
the city of Tabuk receiving treatment for suspected colon and
pancreatic cancer," the paper said quoting well informed
The paper said Mubarak had shifted to Saudi city just
days after he stepped down on February 11 and handed power to
a military council.
al-Akhbar said that Mubarak`s wife Suzanne and his two
sons Alaa and Gamal were also with him in Tabuk.
However, there was no official confirmation of the
report. The new Egyptian authorities have barred Mubarak and
his family from travelling abroad and frozen his assets within
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in