`Egypt`s military stages complete coup`
Cairo: Egypt`s military-led establishment has been accused of staging a ``complete coup`` after the Supreme Court ordered to dissolve Parliament and hand back power to the Army council.
According to The Telegraph, the Supreme Court ruled that a third of the country`s new MPs, who won in the first fully free Parliamentary Election in Egypt`s history, had stood illegally.
Head of the Supreme Court, Farouk Sultan, said this effectively meant Parliament would have to be dissolved, with elections to be conducted again at an unspecified time in the future.
The ruling, which means power will remain in the hands of the generals of the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces (SCAF), was bitterly condemned.
In a separate ruling, the court also allowed Ahmed Shafiq, a Mubarak-era general and former prime minister, to take part in the Presidential Election run-off vote due this Sunday.
Shafiq is facing Mohammed Morsi, the leader of the Freedom and Justice Party (FJP), the Muslim Brotherhood`s political front.
Essam al-Erian, a senior member of the Brotherhood, said the rulings represented the start of a ``dark tunnel`` for the country. He called for the activist groups, who took part in last year`s Tahrir Square protests, including the Brotherhood, to set up a revolutionary council to challenge the military directly.
Mohammed el-Beltagy, a senior Muslim Brotherhood leader, also said the rulings amounted to a ``full-fledged coup``.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'