Egypt’s Mubarak to be sent back to prison
Cairo: Convicted former Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak was on Monday ordered back to prison by authorities who cited an "improvement" in his health, considered good for someone of his age.
Mubarak, 84, sentenced to life in prison over the killing of protesters in the popular uprising against his rule was moved from the medical wing of Tora prison to a military hospital on June 19 after reportedly suffering a stroke.
He was said at the time to have had a series of strokes and to be on a life support machine. Reports that he was "clinically dead" were later denied.
Egyptian state media reported that Prosecutor General Abdel Maguid Mahmoud issued "an order to transfer former President Hosni Mubarak from the Maadi Armed Forces Hospital to Tora prison hospital after an improvement in his health."
Mahmoud`s deputy, Adel al-Saeed, said that a panel of doctors had earlier established that the former president`s "health is currently stable with medication, and it is considered good for someone of his age."
It was not immediately known when Mubarak would be transferred to prison.
Earlier this month, Mahmud had formed a committee of medical experts to look into Mubarak`s health, and determine whether he could be moved back to prison.
The doctors agreed that "Mubarak`s health is currently stable with medication, and it is considered good for someone of his age," Saeed said.
The committee found "no reason for the convict to currently remain in the Armed Forces Hospital in Maadi or any other hospital" with special facilities, he was quoted as saying.
Mubarak`s health was clouded in uncertainty following his move to hospital on June 19, with state media declaring him clinically dead on arrival at a military hospital.
On June 2, Mubarak, who ruled Egypt for three decades, was sentenced to life in prison for his involvement in the death of protesters during the 2011 uprising that ended his reign.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015