Egypt’s Mubarak to be sent back to prison
Cairo: Convicted former Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak was on Monday ordered back to prison by authorities who cited an "improvement" in his health, considered good for someone of his age.
Mubarak, 84, sentenced to life in prison over the killing of protesters in the popular uprising against his rule was moved from the medical wing of Tora prison to a military hospital on June 19 after reportedly suffering a stroke.
He was said at the time to have had a series of strokes and to be on a life support machine. Reports that he was "clinically dead" were later denied.
Egyptian state media reported that Prosecutor General Abdel Maguid Mahmoud issued "an order to transfer former President Hosni Mubarak from the Maadi Armed Forces Hospital to Tora prison hospital after an improvement in his health."
Mahmoud`s deputy, Adel al-Saeed, said that a panel of doctors had earlier established that the former president`s "health is currently stable with medication, and it is considered good for someone of his age."
It was not immediately known when Mubarak would be transferred to prison.
Earlier this month, Mahmud had formed a committee of medical experts to look into Mubarak`s health, and determine whether he could be moved back to prison.
The doctors agreed that "Mubarak`s health is currently stable with medication, and it is considered good for someone of his age," Saeed said.
The committee found "no reason for the convict to currently remain in the Armed Forces Hospital in Maadi or any other hospital" with special facilities, he was quoted as saying.
Mubarak`s health was clouded in uncertainty following his move to hospital on June 19, with state media declaring him clinically dead on arrival at a military hospital.
On June 2, Mubarak, who ruled Egypt for three decades, was sentenced to life in prison for his involvement in the death of protesters during the 2011 uprising that ended his reign.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note