Egypt`s Mursi withdraws complaints against media
Cairo: An Egyptian official says the President has ordered withdrawal of complaints against journalists for allegedly reporting rumours.
Presidential spokesman Ehab Fahmy said Mohammed Mursi ordered cancellation of the complaints filed by the President`s legal office after reviewing the cases "out of respect for freedom of expression and freedom of the press”.
When reached for further comment, the presidency did not release details about how many complaints had been filed since Mursi`s election in June.
The decision does not affect charges filed by Islamist lawyers against journalists and media personalities for allegedly insulting Mursi and Islam.
Popular TV satirist Bassem Youssef is among many who still face investigations for expressing their political or religious opinions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof