Egypt`s Mursi withdraws complaints against media
Cairo: An Egyptian official says the President has ordered withdrawal of complaints against journalists for allegedly reporting rumours.
Presidential spokesman Ehab Fahmy said Mohammed Mursi ordered cancellation of the complaints filed by the President`s legal office after reviewing the cases "out of respect for freedom of expression and freedom of the press”.
When reached for further comment, the presidency did not release details about how many complaints had been filed since Mursi`s election in June.
The decision does not affect charges filed by Islamist lawyers against journalists and media personalities for allegedly insulting Mursi and Islam.
Popular TV satirist Bassem Youssef is among many who still face investigations for expressing their political or religious opinions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement