Egypt`s Muslim Brotherhood stripped off NGO status
Cairo: The Muslim Brotherhood`s status as a registered non-governmental organisation was officially annulled today by Egypt`s cabinet, in a fresh blow to the country`s largest Islamist movement.
The move came after a court last month ordered the dissolution of the Brotherhood and the confiscation of its properties, in addition to banning its activities.
A government panel headed by Minister of Social Solidarity Ahmed El-Borai has annulled the status of the Brotherhood as a registered NGO, Al-Ahram`s Arabic news website reported.
The ruling came amid intensified crackdown on the group as Islamists have refused to bow down on their demand seeking reinstatement of Egypt`s first democratically elected president Mohammed Morsi after he was deposed by the Army on July 3.
In its September 23 ruling, the court also ordered the interim-government to seize the group`s funds and establish a panel to administer its frozen assets until any appeal has been heard.
Yesterday, the Brotherhood appealed the court verdict to seize its funds.
The Brotherhood has existed outside of Egyptian law for decades and was only formally registered as an NGO in March 2013.
Egypt`s State Commissioners Authority, a body that advises the government on legal issues, recommended yesterday the dissolution of the Freedom and Justice party - the political wing of the Muslim Brotherhood.
Morsi, who also belongs to the Brotherhood, was removed from power after millions of Egyptians took to the streets against his rule.
His supporters have since been protesting against what they say is a violation of democratic principles.
But the army-backed government have launched a massive campaign which has left at least 1,000 Muslim Brotherhood supporters dead while nearly 2,000, including the top leadership, have been jailed.
On Sunday, at least 57 people were killed in clashes between security forces and Morsi supporters and nearly 400 were injured.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Zee Media Exclusive: In conversation with BJP President Amit Shah
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'