Egypt`s Muslim Brotherhood stripped off NGO status
Cairo: The Muslim Brotherhood`s status as a registered non-governmental organisation was officially annulled today by Egypt`s cabinet, in a fresh blow to the country`s largest Islamist movement.
The move came after a court last month ordered the dissolution of the Brotherhood and the confiscation of its properties, in addition to banning its activities.
A government panel headed by Minister of Social Solidarity Ahmed El-Borai has annulled the status of the Brotherhood as a registered NGO, Al-Ahram`s Arabic news website reported.
The ruling came amid intensified crackdown on the group as Islamists have refused to bow down on their demand seeking reinstatement of Egypt`s first democratically elected president Mohammed Morsi after he was deposed by the Army on July 3.
In its September 23 ruling, the court also ordered the interim-government to seize the group`s funds and establish a panel to administer its frozen assets until any appeal has been heard.
Yesterday, the Brotherhood appealed the court verdict to seize its funds.
The Brotherhood has existed outside of Egyptian law for decades and was only formally registered as an NGO in March 2013.
Egypt`s State Commissioners Authority, a body that advises the government on legal issues, recommended yesterday the dissolution of the Freedom and Justice party - the political wing of the Muslim Brotherhood.
Morsi, who also belongs to the Brotherhood, was removed from power after millions of Egyptians took to the streets against his rule.
His supporters have since been protesting against what they say is a violation of democratic principles.
But the army-backed government have launched a massive campaign which has left at least 1,000 Muslim Brotherhood supporters dead while nearly 2,000, including the top leadership, have been jailed.
On Sunday, at least 57 people were killed in clashes between security forces and Morsi supporters and nearly 400 were injured.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe