Egypt`s Muslim clerics elect top Islamic jurist
Cairo: Muslim clerics from Al-Azhar, Egypt`s premier religious institution, have chosen the country`s top Islamic jurist via direct and secret balloting the first such vote in six decades.
An official statement by the Senior Scholars Authority says Shawki Ibrahim Abdel-Karim, a professor in Islamic jurisprudence, was elected Grand Mufti in a vote today. The results are now expected to pass ratification by President Mohammed Morsi.
Previously, the Grand Mufti was appointed by the president. But after the ouster of longtime president Hosni Mubarak, Egypt`s interim military rulers amended Al-Azhar`s bylaws.
Abdel-Karim will be the country`s 19th Grand Mufti since 1895. He succeeds the moderate Ali Gomaa, who served for eight years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!