Egypt’s Parliamentary Elections: Opposition divided
London: Egypt’s Opposition is divided over whether to boycott new Parliamentary Elections, one of its top leaders has admitted.
Amr Moussa said that pressure was growing for a boycott to be announced after Tuesday`s meeting of the opposition coalition, the National Salvation Front.
One of his fellow leaders, Mohammed ElBaradei, has already called on his followers not to participate in the elections, which are due to take place over several rounds starting in April.
During an interview with the Daily Telegraph, Moussa said he would prefer his colleagues to consult before reaching a decision, an implicit criticism of ElBaradei, who has repeatedly used Twitter to declare opposition positions.
According to the paper, Moussa said some wanted the elections to be postponed or boycotted, but added that a third part are ‘still reluctant and want to get into an electoral battle’.
Moussa said he backed the Front`s call for Mursi to announce a national unity government.
According to the paper, he added that his ‘personal preference when it comes to elections is always to run and to join in the electoral process, but Egypt is going through special circumstances most of them negative. The priorities are confused.’
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'