Egypt`s President meets Hamas leader
Cairo: Egypt`s President Mohammed Morsi met for the first time with Gaza premier Ismail Haniyeh of Hamas, an offshoot of Morsi`s Muslim Brotherhood movement.
Egypt`s official news agency MENA quoted Morsi`s spokesman Yasser Ali late yesterday as saying that the two discussed "solutions to lift the siege" of the Gaza Strip, as well as efforts toward reconciliation between Hamas and its rival, western-backed Fatah.
MENA said that Haniyeh was part of a 16-member delegation which crossed to Egypt from the Rafah border crossing on Wednesday for a three-day visit. He will also meet with new prime minister Hesham Kandil. The meeting was the first between Morsi and Haniyeh since Morsi assumed his post on June 30.
Shortly before the visit, Egyptian authorities ordered freer temporary entry into the country for Palestinians, easing long-imposed travel restrictions that hit Gazans in particular.
Hamas was jubilant over Morsi`s election, hoping the Egyptian leader would help Gaza`s flagging economy. Hamas officials in the territory have said that once Morsi settles into his job, they expect him to transform the Gaza-Egypt border crossing into a vibrant cargo route with free trade zones.
Analysts believe that creating such a link would keep Hamas in power for years, reviving an economy battered by a blockade imposed by Israel and Morsi`s predecessor, Hosni Mubarak, after Hamas seized control of Gaza in 2007.
Haniyeh`s visit comes a week after a series of meetings between Egypt`s Muslim Brotherhood and Palestinian leaders.
Last week, Morsi met Hamas political chief Khaled Mashaal and Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas. The Muslim Brotherhood`s top leader, Mohammed Badei also met with the Ramadan Shallah, the head of Palestinian militant group Islamic Jihad, on Wednesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family