Egypt`s President to attend NAM summit in Iran
Cairo: In first such visit in decades, Egypt’s President Mohammed Mursi will attend the Non-Aligned Movement Summit in Iran on August 30, announced an Egyptian presidential official on Saturday.
Mursi’s visit is seen as a move to thaw in ties between Egypt and Iran after years of enmity, especially since Egypt signed its 1979 peace treaty with Israel and the Islamic revolution in Iran.
Under Mursi`s predecessor Hosni Mubarak, Egypt sided with Saudi Arabia and other Sunni-dominated Arab nations in trying to isolate Shi’ite-led Iran.
The presidential official says Mursi will visit Tehran on August 30 on his way back from China to attend the Non-Aligned Movement Summit. Egypt will transfer the bloc`s rotating leadership to Iran. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because of he was not authorised to make the announcement now.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'