Egypt`s President to attend NAM summit in Iran
Cairo: In first such visit in decades, Egypt’s President Mohammed Mursi will attend the Non-Aligned Movement Summit in Iran on August 30, announced an Egyptian presidential official on Saturday.
Mursi’s visit is seen as a move to thaw in ties between Egypt and Iran after years of enmity, especially since Egypt signed its 1979 peace treaty with Israel and the Islamic revolution in Iran.
Under Mursi`s predecessor Hosni Mubarak, Egypt sided with Saudi Arabia and other Sunni-dominated Arab nations in trying to isolate Shi’ite-led Iran.
The presidential official says Mursi will visit Tehran on August 30 on his way back from China to attend the Non-Aligned Movement Summit. Egypt will transfer the bloc`s rotating leadership to Iran. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because of he was not authorised to make the announcement now.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...