Egypt`s President to attend NAM summit in Iran
Cairo: In first such visit in decades, Egypt’s President Mohammed Mursi will attend the Non-Aligned Movement Summit in Iran on August 30, announced an Egyptian presidential official on Saturday.
Mursi’s visit is seen as a move to thaw in ties between Egypt and Iran after years of enmity, especially since Egypt signed its 1979 peace treaty with Israel and the Islamic revolution in Iran.
Under Mursi`s predecessor Hosni Mubarak, Egypt sided with Saudi Arabia and other Sunni-dominated Arab nations in trying to isolate Shi’ite-led Iran.
The presidential official says Mursi will visit Tehran on August 30 on his way back from China to attend the Non-Aligned Movement Summit. Egypt will transfer the bloc`s rotating leadership to Iran. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because of he was not authorised to make the announcement now.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?