Egypt’s prominent blogger hands himself in
Cairo: A prominent Egyptian blogger has handed himself in to authorities, a day after the country`s prosecutor general ordered his arrest over his alleged role in instigating violence during clashes between supporters and opponents of the country`s Islamist president.
Alaa Abdel-Fattah arrived on Tuesday at the Cairo office of Prosecutor General Talaat Abdullah surrounded by dozens of pro-democracy protesters chanting against the rule of Mohammed Mursi`s group, the Muslim Brotherhood.
The Brotherhood`s office in the capital was the focus of Friday street fighting that left some 200 people injured.
Abdel-Fattah is one of five well-known activists named as instigators of violence. They rose to prominence the 2011 uprising against ousted president Hosni Mubarak, and now are protesting Mursi`s presidency.
Activists say the arrest heralds a campaign of intimidation against Brotherhood opponents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!