Egypt’s prominent blogger hands himself in
Cairo: A prominent Egyptian blogger has handed himself in to authorities, a day after the country`s prosecutor general ordered his arrest over his alleged role in instigating violence during clashes between supporters and opponents of the country`s Islamist president.
Alaa Abdel-Fattah arrived on Tuesday at the Cairo office of Prosecutor General Talaat Abdullah surrounded by dozens of pro-democracy protesters chanting against the rule of Mohammed Mursi`s group, the Muslim Brotherhood.
The Brotherhood`s office in the capital was the focus of Friday street fighting that left some 200 people injured.
Abdel-Fattah is one of five well-known activists named as instigators of violence. They rose to prominence the 2011 uprising against ousted president Hosni Mubarak, and now are protesting Mursi`s presidency.
Activists say the arrest heralds a campaign of intimidation against Brotherhood opponents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon