Egypt’s prominent blogger hands himself in
Cairo: A prominent Egyptian blogger has handed himself in to authorities, a day after the country`s prosecutor general ordered his arrest over his alleged role in instigating violence during clashes between supporters and opponents of the country`s Islamist president.
Alaa Abdel-Fattah arrived on Tuesday at the Cairo office of Prosecutor General Talaat Abdullah surrounded by dozens of pro-democracy protesters chanting against the rule of Mohammed Mursi`s group, the Muslim Brotherhood.
The Brotherhood`s office in the capital was the focus of Friday street fighting that left some 200 people injured.
Abdel-Fattah is one of five well-known activists named as instigators of violence. They rose to prominence the 2011 uprising against ousted president Hosni Mubarak, and now are protesting Mursi`s presidency.
Activists say the arrest heralds a campaign of intimidation against Brotherhood opponents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh addresses Parliament over Kashmir violence
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh addresses Parliament over Kashmir violence – Part II
- I am a Goddess for the weaker section which is making people angry: Mayawati
- Sacked BJP leader Dayashankar to be arrested soon for controversial remark on Mayawati
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- WATCH: Pakistan PM Nawaz Sharif, ex-president Pervez Musharraf flirted with this girl?
- What's cooking? Farah Khan's 'do anmol ratan' Ranveer Singh, Anil Kapoor spill madness at shoot
- EXCLUSIVE: This is what Kashmiri children think about India – Must watch video
- US-backed forces give IS '48 hours' to leave Syria's Manbij
- RBI to cut rates by 0.25% on Aug 9 if rains damp pulse price