Egypt’s prominent blogger hands himself in
Cairo: A prominent Egyptian blogger has handed himself in to authorities, a day after the country`s prosecutor general ordered his arrest over his alleged role in instigating violence during clashes between supporters and opponents of the country`s Islamist president.
Alaa Abdel-Fattah arrived on Tuesday at the Cairo office of Prosecutor General Talaat Abdullah surrounded by dozens of pro-democracy protesters chanting against the rule of Mohammed Mursi`s group, the Muslim Brotherhood.
The Brotherhood`s office in the capital was the focus of Friday street fighting that left some 200 people injured.
Abdel-Fattah is one of five well-known activists named as instigators of violence. They rose to prominence the 2011 uprising against ousted president Hosni Mubarak, and now are protesting Mursi`s presidency.
Activists say the arrest heralds a campaign of intimidation against Brotherhood opponents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'