Egypt’s Salafis call for implementation of Sharia law
Cairo: Thousands of supporters of various Egyptian Salafi groups have called for the immediate implementation of Islamic law in the country.
The pro-Sharia demonstrators took to Tahrir Square in Cairo on Friday to present their demand.
According to CNN, speakers called on the government of President Mohamed Morsy to move quickly to implement Sharia.
About 10,000 demonstrators advocating for Sharia filled the square, chanting in unison, "The people want God`s law applied,” the report said.
The move comes as Egypt is formulating a new, post-revolutionary constitution and Sharia`s place in the process is highly contentious, dividing Islamists and secularists, and even Islamists themselves.
According to the report, the Muslim Brotherhood is in favor of gradual implementation of Sharia, while the Salafis want it imposed immediately.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok