Egypt`s ultraconservative party names new leader
Cairo: Egypt`s ultraconservative Islamist party has named a new leader, after the former head split away to form a new party.
The Salafist Al-Nour Party emerged as the second largest in parliamentary elections last year, but the parliament was dissolved by court order.
Founder Emad Abdel-Ghafour formed his own party on January 1. It`s expected to align with the party of President Mohammed Morsi`s Muslim Brotherhood in upcoming elections.
Al-Nour chose Younis Makhyoun as its new leader today.
The split resulted from infighting over the influence of clerics who were among Al-Nour founders, as well as relations with the dominant Brotherhood.
Opposition to the Brotherhood runs deep among many Salafis. Al-Nour`s leaders say the Brotherhood is too willing to compromise on Islamic issues. Salafis advocate rule by strict Islamic law.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday