Egypt`s upper house of parliament meets Wednesday
Cairo: An official statement said Monday that President Mohammed Mursi has ordered Parliament`s upper chamber to convene on Wednesday.
The statement comes a day after Mursi appointed 90 members to the Islamist-dominated Shura Council. The 90 include at least 30 Islamists and six minority Christians. The council has a total of 270 members, two-thirds of them elected.
The toothless body was elected last winter by less than 10 percent of the 51 million eligible voters. It will assume legislative powers until a lower chamber is elected within the next two months.
Mursi has had legislative powers since the lower chamber was dissolved by a court in June.
The council`s empowerment is provided for in a new constitution passed in a referendum over the past two weekends, according to unofficial results.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Came to Mumbai from Pakistan to select 26/11 attack sites, David Headley tells Mumbai court
- 'Afzal Guru amar rahe', 'Kashmir lekar rahenge' slogans raised at Press Club of India
- Virat Kohli: Amid break-up rumors, cricketer spends time with most beautiful woman