Egypt`s upper house of parliament meets Wednesday
Cairo: An official statement said Monday that President Mohammed Mursi has ordered Parliament`s upper chamber to convene on Wednesday.
The statement comes a day after Mursi appointed 90 members to the Islamist-dominated Shura Council. The 90 include at least 30 Islamists and six minority Christians. The council has a total of 270 members, two-thirds of them elected.
The toothless body was elected last winter by less than 10 percent of the 51 million eligible voters. It will assume legislative powers until a lower chamber is elected within the next two months.
Mursi has had legislative powers since the lower chamber was dissolved by a court in June.
The council`s empowerment is provided for in a new constitution passed in a referendum over the past two weekends, according to unofficial results.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- WATCH: Roger Federer mesmerizes centre court crowd with a 'tweener lob'