Egypt`s upper house of parliament meets Wednesday
Cairo: An official statement said Monday that President Mohammed Mursi has ordered Parliament`s upper chamber to convene on Wednesday.
The statement comes a day after Mursi appointed 90 members to the Islamist-dominated Shura Council. The 90 include at least 30 Islamists and six minority Christians. The council has a total of 270 members, two-thirds of them elected.
The toothless body was elected last winter by less than 10 percent of the 51 million eligible voters. It will assume legislative powers until a lower chamber is elected within the next two months.
Mursi has had legislative powers since the lower chamber was dissolved by a court in June.
The council`s empowerment is provided for in a new constitution passed in a referendum over the past two weekends, according to unofficial results.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Minor girl allegedly gang-raped in Mumbai