Egypt’s Vice President is `de facto head of state`
Cairo: Vice President Omar Suleiman is the "de facto head of state" of Egypt, the Egyptian ambassador to the United States said after President Hosni Mubarak stopped short of stepping down.
"The President indicated very clearly he was transferring all his presidential authority to the vice president," Ambassador Sameh Shoukry told CNN.
"President Mubarak has transferred the powers of the presidency to his vice president, who now undertakes all authorities as president, so we can say that the President is a de jure president, and the vice president is a de facto president," he said.
"He (Suleiman) would be in charge of the military, because all authority has been transmitted," Shoukry added.
The envoy said he had called CNN to clear up "maybe some confusion on your part in what the President did say", after widespread condemnation of Mubarak`s decision not to step down.
Asked whether it was fair to say that President Mubarak now had no power, Shoukry, who said he was speaking at Suleiman`s behest, replied: "That is certainly an interpretation you can make."
Asked once more for clarification, Shoukry said: "The head of state of Egypt is the President, who has transmitted all his powers to the vice president.”
"The de jure head of state is Mubarak and de facto head of state is Omar Suleiman. For undertaking all responsibilities under the Constitution, it`s Vice President Omar Suleiman."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Helicopter crash kills six Vaishno Devi pilgrims, pilot near Katra; chopper service suspended