Eight drown as immigrant boat sinks off Turkey
Istanbul: Eight people died, including a child, and five others were missing today after a boat carrying migrants towards Greece capsized off western Turkey, local media reported.
The nationalities of those onboard were not immediately known but media reports said they were believed to be Syrians.
Three people were rescued and taken to a nearby hospital after the accident off the Turkish western city of Izmir, the Cihan news agency said.
Turkey, which according to the government hosts about 900,000 Syrians who have fled the civil war in their country, has become a hub for migrants seeking access to Europe.
Neighbouring Greece is the busiest entry point for migrants into the European Union. But the journey across the Mediterranean is frequently perilous, and hundreds of migrants drown en route each year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city