Eight European hostages still alive: Al Qaeda group
Niger: Al Qaeda`s north African branch said in a statement Saturday that eight European hostages it is holding are alive and well, promising to release a new video of the five Frenchmen among them.
Earlier in the day demonstrations were held in several towns and cities in France in a show of support for four of the French hostages who have been held by Al Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) for 1,000 days.
Thierry Dol, Daniel Larribe, Pierre Legrand and Marc Feret -- mostly working for French public nuclear giant Areva and its subcontractor Satom -- were kidnapped in Niger by Al-Qaeda-linked militants on September 16 in 2010.
Francoise Larribe, wife of Daniel, was also captured but was released in 2011.
"We would like to reassure the families and parents of the hostages of their childrens` safety... We will soon, God willing, air a new video showing the five French hostages," AQIM said in a statement reproduced on several jihadist websites.
The fifth French hostage, Serge Lazarevic, was kidnapped in November 2011 in northeast Mali.
There were no details given of the nationalities and identities of the three other hostages mentioned in the AQIM statement.
Saturday`s demonstrations in France gathered supporters and family members in Paris, Saint-Cere, Nimes, Nantes and Orleans.
"One thousand days is unbearable, but hope remains to find them alive," Larribe`s nephew Aurelien Pigeat said.
In April, President Francois Hollande announced France would not buckle under pressure to pay ransom for hostages, saying that by applying discreet measures in such situations, France could handle them more efficiently.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes