Eight hurt in China children`s centre attack
Beijing: Eight children were hurt on Monday when a staff member at a day care centre for the children of migrant workers in China`s eastern city of Shanghai went on a stabbing spree, local media said.
The attack took place around midday at a temporary day care facility in an eastern suburb of Shanghai, the Xinmin Evening News said on its website.
A woman who has worked at the centre for several years used a box cutter to slash at children, all between three and four years old, the newspaper quoted witnesses as saying.
"Adults and children were all screaming `Help`," a resident said.
The suspect, who is believed to have psychiatric problems, has already been detained by police, the newspaper said. Her name was not given.
One of the eight children was seriously injured. A local hospital official said the hospital had received eight children from the school, but declined to comment on their condition.
The attack is the latest in a string of violence against children at China`s schools since last year, which has brought heightened security and calls for investigations into the root causes of such acts.
In August last year, a man wielding a knife killed three children in a kindergarten in China`s eastern province of Shandong.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'