Eight jailed for plot to kill Fiji`s PM
Suva: Eight men found guilty of plotting to murder interim Fiji prime minister Commodore Voreqe Bainimarama three years ago were given sentences ranging from three to seven years in jail on Friday.
The sentences were delivered in a packed court room amid tight security, Xinhua news agency reported.
Fiji`s High Court Judge Justice Paul Madigan, while delivering his judgment, said the conspiracy was hatched in 2007.
It was first brought to the attention of the Military Intelligence Services in September 2007 when the first accused told an undercover agent that there was a group of people discussing the assassination of Bainimarama.
He said in subsequent meetings the plot was discussed.
Plans included a weakening of the military, declaration of a police state, removal of Fiji`s president and requesting Australia and New Zealand to assist.
The conspiracy was brought to an end when the suspects were stopped at a road block in the afternoon of November 03, 2007.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...