Eight jailed for plot to kill Fiji`s PM
Suva: Eight men found guilty of plotting to murder interim Fiji prime minister Commodore Voreqe Bainimarama three years ago were given sentences ranging from three to seven years in jail on Friday.
The sentences were delivered in a packed court room amid tight security, Xinhua news agency reported.
Fiji`s High Court Judge Justice Paul Madigan, while delivering his judgment, said the conspiracy was hatched in 2007.
It was first brought to the attention of the Military Intelligence Services in September 2007 when the first accused told an undercover agent that there was a group of people discussing the assassination of Bainimarama.
He said in subsequent meetings the plot was discussed.
Plans included a weakening of the military, declaration of a police state, removal of Fiji`s president and requesting Australia and New Zealand to assist.
The conspiracy was brought to an end when the suspects were stopped at a road block in the afternoon of November 03, 2007.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi lays foundation stone of IARI at Barhi: As it happened
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- India likely to rest MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli for Zimbabwe tour
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report