Eight killed as two vessels collide off Hong Kong
Hong Kong: At least eight people were killed and 15 remained missing after two vessels, one of them carrying over 120 passengers, collided Monday evening off Hong Kong, Xinhua reported.
The accident involved a tug boat and a ferry, with 124 people aboard, the city government said in a statement, adding that so far, a total of 101 people were rescued and 15 were missing.
A major rescue operation for the missing passengers was launched, said police.
The crash occurred in the evening (around 12.30 GMT) when a ferry, carrying 124 people, was hit in the middle part by a tug boat.
The ferry half-sank after the collision near Lamma island, which lies some three km southwest of Hong Kong island, and is popular with tourists and expatriates, BBC reported.
An official with a local power supply company, which rented the ferry for its staff for one-day outing, said 124 people were on the ferry.
Hong Kong Chief Executive CY Leung told reporters that relevant departments of the city government have made all-out efforts to rescue those who fell into the sea.
The accident occurred during a busy period for passenger travel in Hong Kong, at the end of a long holiday weekend to mark the mid-autumn festival that this year coincides with China`s National Day Oct 1.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents