Eight lawmakers arrested at US immigration rally
Washington: Eight Democrat members of US Congress courted arrest in a show of civil disobedience at a rally here calling for comprehensive immigration reform to legalise America`s 11 million undocumented workers, including 300,000 Indians.
"I`ve been arrested a few times, and I don`t mind getting arrested again for something that is right and fair and just," said House member John Lewis the civil rights icon known for his speech during the March on Washington a half-century ago.
Lewis was arrested with fellow Democratic member Charlie Rangel and Joe Crowley of New York, Luis Gutierrez and Jan Schakowsky of Illinois, Raul Grijalva of Arizona, , Keith Ellison of Minnesota and Al Green of Texas.
Thousands of activists - from young children wearing white T-shirts that read "Don`t Deport My Dad" to activists cheering and waving signs that proclaimed: "No Human is Illegal" - gathered on the national Mall to participate in the rally.
More than a dozen congressional Democrats and four House Republicans came before the crowd to push for a reform bill in the House where the issue has stalled amid a showdown over fiscal policy.
The White House applauded the efforts of the demonstrators in a statement Tuesday night and demanded that House Republicans "put politics aside" to pass immigration reform.
"The enthusiastic demonstration of support for immigration reform this week has proven to Congress that the broad coalition behind commonsense solutions to our nation`s broken immigration laws is as strong as it has ever been," White House press secretary Jay Carney said.
Tuesday`s rally, officially called "Camino Americano" ("American Road") follows events in more than 100 cities across the US 8 lawmakers arrested at US immigration rally on Saturday to make a similar push for comprehensive immigration reform.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe