Eight police killed in south Yemen ambush: Security
Aden: Gunmen ambushed and killed eight policemen on Monday near a gas terminal in southern Yemen, a security official said.
The attack took place as the officers were driving to a security checkpoint near the Balhaf terminal, in the southern province of Shabwa, the official said.
"Armed men in two cars opened fire on the policemen, killing them on the spot," he said. He was unable to identify the assailants or explain their motives.
Earlier today, a special forces officer was abducted by armed men northeast of Balhaf, and his body was later found to the west. He had been shot three times.
The corpse was found not far from where the eight policemen were killed, another security source said.
Yemeni security personnel have come under increasing attack in recent months, particularly in the south and east of the country, with authorities generally blaming al Qaeda.
Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) has taken advantage of the weakening of the central government since an Arab Spring-inspired uprising in 2011 toppled president Ali Abdullah Saleh after 33 years in power.
In September, the army said it had foiled a bid to attack Balhaf, the country`s only gas export terminal, hours after suspected Al Qaeda fighters killed 56 soldiers in a coordinated attack in Shabwa.
Washington regards AQAP as the global jihadist network`s most dangerous affiliate and has stepped up drone strikes targeting the militants.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing