El Nino causes wildfires in Venezuela
Caracas: Over 4,000 hectares of woodland have been destroyed by wildfires in Sierra de Perija, in the Venezuelan state of Zulia, as a result of a prolonged drought, which specailists say is probably due to El Nino climate phenomenon.
El Nino-Southern Oscillation (ENSO) is a climate pattern that occurs across the tropical Pacific Ocean on average every five years, but over a period which varies from three to seven years, and is therefore, widely and significantly, known as "quasi-periodic."
ENSO is best-known for its association with floods, droughts and other weather disturbances in many regions of the world.
Local authorities also reported that various water sources are drying out in the Venezuelan bordering zone with Colombia, where wildfires have been raging over the last 10 days.
In Merida state, neighboring Zulia, local tourism authorities and security bodies have also reported wildfires in the surroundings of Chorros de Milla Park, where 15 hectares of woodland were devastated.
Due to the severe drought, President Hugo Chavez decreed a power emergency on Monday, as the water resources are in critical situation, chiefly El Guri reservoir, the biggest in the country.
According to authorities, this is the worst drought in the last 100 years and there are no guarantees that rains will start in May.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister