El Salvador apologises 30 years after massacre
San Salvador: El Salvador`s government has asked for "forgiveness" over a civil war-era massacre in 1981 in which soldiers executed more than 1,000 people, nearly half of them children.
Today marks the 30th anniversary of the slaughter at the small northeastern village of El Mozote, where troops rounded up men, women and children, accused many of collaborating with leftist guerrillas, and killed them in cold blood.
It was among the worst massacres in the country`s bloody
1980-1992 civil war, which still casts a shadow over the
Central American nation.
"I would like to take this opportunity to reiterate on
behalf of the government of El Salvador our request for
forgiveness to the thousands of innocent victims, but
especially the victims of the massacre at El Mozote," Foreign
Minister Hugo Martinez said during a ceremony at the town
Martinez noted that Salvadoran President Mauricio Funes --
the country`s first democratically-elected leftist president
since the civil war -- had already apologised for other
violent incidents attributed to the army, state security
forces and paramilitary groups.
"This event seeks to honor the memory of hundreds of
innocent people who were murdered 30 years ago here in El
Mozote and in other nearby hamlets," he said.
According to Martinez, "the blindness of state violence
also took away innocent lives" in nearby towns La Joya,
Rancheria and Los Toriles, and it was important that the
government adopt a position "that recognizes the rights of
victims and does not evade responsibility of the State."
The December 11-13, 1981 killings at El Mozote were
committed by troops of the now-banned Atlacatl Battalion of
the Army. Their crimes, including torture and rape, left the
international community appalled.
A truth commission created by the United Nations blamed a
number of military officials, some of whom were killed in the
civil war. UN officials were present at Saturday`s ceremony in
Activists say they are still waiting for justice, and they
hope their case will be taken up by the Inter-American Court
of Human Rights based in Costa Rica.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes
- CBSE Results 2015: Girls outperform boys in Class 12 Board Exams
- Complete list of award winners at IPL 2015