ElBaradei blasts `failure` of Western Mideast policy: Report
London: Former UN nuclear chief Mohamed ElBaradei has warned the West`s support of authoritarian regimes in the Middle East risks encouraging Islamic extremism, in an interview with a British paper on Thursday.
"There is a need for re-evaluation," he told the Guardian newspaper.
"The idea that the only alternative to authoritarian regimes is (Osama) bin Laden and co is a fake one, yet continuation of current policies will make that prophecy come true."
ElBaradei, Egypt`s most high-profile dissident who until the end of 2009 headed the International Atomic Energy Agency, said he saw "increasing radicalisation" in the Arab world.
"People feel repressed by their own governments, they feel unfairly treated by the outside world, they wake up in the morning and who do they see -- they see people being shot and killed, all Muslims from Afghanistan, Iraq, Somalia, Sudan, Darfur."
Western policy in the region amounted to a "total failure", said ElBaradei, who returned to Cairo in February after stepping down as head of the nuclear watchdog.
"Western policy towards this part of the world has been a total failure, in my view," he told the paper at his home in the Egyptian capital.
"It has not been based on dialogue, understanding, supporting civil society and empowering people, but rather it`s been based on supporting authoritarian systems as long as the oil keeps pumping."
The former nuclear watchdog`s chief has said he would be willing to run for Egyptian president in 2011 against incumbent Hosni Mubarak, who has been in power since 1981.
ElBaradei, 67, returned from Vienna to a rapturous welcome from supporters and has been leading a reformist campaign.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'