Eleven bodies of slain policemen recovered in Nigeria
Abuja: Security forces in Nigeria has recovered bodies of 11 out of the 12 policemen, who were killed last Friday in the country`s oil rich Niger delta region.
Combined team of soldiers drawn from the Joint Task Force (JTF) and operatives of the Nigeria Police on Wednesday recovered the "burnt and decomposed" bodies of the slain policemen along the creeks of Southern Ijaw Local Government Area of the state.
The policemen were in the region to give cover to an ex-militant, who was holding funeral for a dead relative, when they were ambushed and killed in the creeks of Bayelsa state by unknown gunmen.
Police had said that the officers boat developed some faults before they were attacked in Azazuma village.
A militant group, Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND), claimed responsibility for the attack.
MEND, whose leader Henry Okah was sentenced to 24 years in prison last month for masterminding bomb attacks in the capital city of Abuja in 2010, had warned of continued hostilities.
They accused Nigerian government of having offered evidence that led to Okah`s sentencing.
A spokesman for the Nigerian police in Bayelsa state, Alex Akhigbe, confirmed the recovery of the bodies, adding that one was yet to be recovered.
The recovered corpses were taken to the state capital, Yenogoa, and deposited in a morgue.
MEND is one of the several groups that have carried out attacks in the Niger Delta, claiming the region needs to control its oil resources.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured