Eleven tribesmen killed in Yemen suicide attacks
Aden: Eleven Yemeni tribesmen were killed overnight in two suicide attacks in the southern province of Abyan, a stronghold of Al-Qaeda, tribal sources and medics
said on Sunday.
Tribal sources accused Al-Qaeda members of carrying out the attacks in two villages of Abyan province, where Yemeni tribesmen and the army have been battling militants from the "Partisans of Sharia (Islamic law)" who are believed to be close to the Al-Qaeda network.
A suicide bomber killed Sheikh Abu Bahr Ashal, the chief of Ashal tribe, and two others as he detonated an explosive belt that he was wearing, when he approached them, while they chewed the local soft narcotic qat in Moudia, east of Zinjibar, the provincial capital mostly seized by militants since May.
The bodies of Ashal and one of his companions were torn into pieces due to the intensity of the explosion, while the third, a soldier, succumbed to his wounds in hospital, a tribal source told a news agency.
A medical source confirmed the death toll. Meanwhile, eight people were killed and 20 others wounded, when a suicide bomber rammed an explosive-laden car into a
post of armed tribesmen in the area of Arkub, near the town of Shaqra, which was taken over by extremist militants last week, a tribal source said.
A medical source said, that seven of the wounded sustained serious injuries and were taken to a hospital in the neighbouring province of Baida.
Yemeni tribesmen siding with government forces have in past weeks been locked in battle with suspected Al-Qaeda militants in Abyan, especially in Zinjibar.
The army has been battling the Partisans of Sharia militants, who have besieged its 25th Mechanised Brigade base in Zinjibar since May.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- PM Modi's 10th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat': As it happened
- Anna Hazare extends support to ex-servicemen over OROP protests
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday