Eliminate death penalty, says Pope
Vatican City: Pope Benedict XVI on Wednesday appealed to politicians to eliminate capital punishment, saying it is a violation of human dignity.
Speaking at the Vatican to international delegations participating in conference on the theme "No Justice without Life", the Pope said: "I express my hope that your deliberations will encourage the political and legislative initiatives being promoted in a growing number of countries to eliminate the death penalty and to continue the substantive progress made in conforming penal law both to the human dignity of prisoners and the effective maintenance of public order."
The Vatican is a vocal critic of capital punishment, at times equating the persecution of early Christians in ancient Rome to the plight suffered by modern-day prisoners on death row.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?